After far too many long nights burning the midnight oil at the office, not to mention waking up at the crack of dawn just to get a head start in replying to the mountain of emails that have accumulated overnight, all of us deserve a bit of a break. But for the Reward Hunter, a weekend at a nearby self-catering cottage simply won’t do. It’s got to be ultra-relaxing, super luxurious and seriously self-indulgent.
This Traveller Tribe have worked hard and, in return, expect travel to re-energise them and provide a premium experience that transcends their everyday routine. Extraordinary ‘must have’ experiences along the lines of a weekend shopping trip to London, a private helicopter flight and VIP tickets to the concert of the year or even a hedonistic exclusive spa retreat.
Driven by the growing number of singleton households and urbanisation, Reward Hunters also tend to be high net worth individuals. Given that the number of new millionaires in Africa is steadily growing and showing no signs of slowing down, we can expect to see huge demand from this Traveller Tribe over the next 15 years.
In fact, Africa is home to the fastest growing population of high net worth individuals in the world, with an increase of around 145% over the past 14 years compared to worldwide growth of 73% over the same period. The Wealth Report 2015 has predicted that the number of African individuals with US$30 million in assets is expected to double over the next decade.
So what do you need to know about this Traveller Tribe – and how can you meet their lofty expectations?
- Destination takes a backseat. For this Tribe, it’s all about the experience, which ranges from life-affirming wellness to extreme self-indulgence, whether gastronomic or party-fuelled.
- Because this Tribe feels they have earned the right to indulge, they prefer not to expend any personal effort creating the experiences. This means that there is a huge opportunity for agents and concierge services that can just make it happen at the drop of a hat.
- At the airport, Reward Hunters will seek to mimic the treatment celebrities get and bypass ordinary processes such as security and check in with the help of personal escorts. In the air, they will be open to first-class experiences such as spa treatments and flatbeds.
- Reward Hunters are walking something of a “digital tightrope” – on one hand, they relish the opportunity to unplug and disconnect for a while in demarcated zero-connectivity zones, but are also excited by technology’s ability to provide them with access to new and indulgent personal experiences which are unattainable by the masses. This Tribe is also likely to adopt health tracking technology through wearable devices and will be comfortable with sharing biometric data to save valuable time wasted in laborious check-in processes.
- Wellness is hugely important to Reward Hunters, and this Tribe will be keenly interested in services that boost their well-being, whether it be health checks on spas on arrival.